Thursday, January 19, 2006

Bubbles Always Go Up

ORN: 4 miles, no watch, nice pace.

Had to do a double-take at the thermometer this morning. 39?? Really? I looked outside and the snow was still on the roof and the yard. I looked again...still 39.

The issue was what to wear. My trusted temperature chart says to just wear shorts at temps over 38. I've honed this chart over the years. But after the tough cold yesterday, I just couldn't quite believe I was going to go out in bare legs.

I decided to trust the chart and wear what I've learned is comfortable at that temperature. Shorts. Two layers of polyester shirts. My nylon shell vest. Wind cap. Cotton gloves. OK, out the door.

And it was perfect. Even with a stiff wind (that had swung to the south overnight, thus the temperature rise).

Years ago, (in college I think) I heard a SCUBA diver speak. He talked about the disorientation that happens at times while diving deep. And he said "We learn that bubbles always go up." The diver trains herself to know that when disoriented, follow the bubbles to the surface, even if all her other senses tell her that "down" is "up."

There are reliable indicators around us. It is good to learn what they are and follow accordingly.

Persevere.

No comments: