Sunday, April 16, 2006

Now THAT'S a Goal!

ORN: Friday, 4 miles, easy
Saturday: 8 miles, easy
Sunday: 3 miles, quick

Nearing my turn around point during Saturday's 8 miler, I passed a fellow working out on his wheechair. I turned about 200 yards past him and met him again.

"You can go quite a ways on the trail if you want to" he offered.

"Yeah, I know, but I'm only doing 8 today. I did a marathon last Sunday and I'm just easing back into milage"

"Oh, that's cool. I'm doing 8 as well. My marathon's still to come."


"Really? Where?"

"Summer 2007. I'm going to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up again."


Wow! Tim and I got talking and he told me of his plans. He wants to get in better shape and has a lot more constraints than I do. He has a plan, knows the route he'll take and, most of all, a vision that is worth aiming for. Talk about dreaming big...I was inspired just talking to him.

My legs are coming back. 8 miles on Saturday was about 3 too many, but it was OK. This morning, after a half mile or so, I just let it open and was amazed that I could do a quick 3 miles. This coming week, we start the work for the first of two half marathons, when I join 35,000 of my closest friends for the One America Mini Marathon in Indy on May 6.

Happy Easter to all. A day of hope and vision and renewal.

Persevere.

1 comment:

jeanne said...

happy easter to you too. what an inspiring guy!