Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006 Goals: A Full and a 2


ORN: Cross training; bike and walk

Happy New Year!!

So, here we go on another calendar year. I’ve been mulling my goals for the year and then talked them over with Gretchen and Matt the other day. I settled on them:

1. Run a Marathon
2. Run a Half-Marathon in 2:00:00 or less

I ran two marathons in 1980 and 1981. Actually, I started 3 but dehydrated badly in one of them. I’ve had in the back (very back, at times) of my mind since that it would be cool to do again. The time is now right. I’m in a job situation that will allow me to dial up the training to get it done safely. The baby that was inside my very pregnant wife as she watched me finish the first race is now independent and gainfully employed in Portland, Oregon. So let’s see if I can do it.

In looking at the calendar, we decided my first target will be the
St. Louis Marathon on April 9. My base is in fine shape to ramp up to it using Hal Higdon's MARATHON TRAINING GUIDE, which I have found to be a very solid program.

The second goal will develop later in the year. I have several target half marathons. I’m already registered for
OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis, along with 35,000 of my closest friends. Since it lands four weeks after the St Louis marathon, I’m just hoping to run it and enjoy it. I doubt I would expect to do it under 2 hours. A more likely target for the 2 hour trip would be the Sunburst Half Marathon on June 3 in South Bend, Indiana. I ran this last year as well.

Off we go…thanks for reading.

Persevere.

2 comments:

Dallen said...

I just found your blog. Good luck with your goals in 2006. I will see you in Indy. Actually with so many friends, I probably won't see you, but it's possible.

David said...

sounds like the timing is just right to ramp up the training. now you have something to motivate you out the door every day and some racin' to look forward to.
good luck.