Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sometimes, you have to just make a decision

ORN:  0.2 miles, shut down early.  

Much of training is trial and error, trying something, seeing how it works.  But once in a while, you have to make a call and live with the consequences.  And that's where I am at the moment.

I awoke this morning, looking forward to a run.  Even better, the temperature was a balmy 50F at 5:15am.  After a long, cold winter, this was wonderful!  I donned shorts and a LS shirt and went out the door.  Though the knee hurt last Friday, it felt fine on a simple 4 miler on Monday.  So, I was optimistic for another good run today, Wednesday.  

On my walk to the corner, though, the left knee felt "odd".  Thinking it would wear off, I started to run, easily.  And the knee hurt.  Tried a few things...knee brace on, knee brace off.  Nothing shifted it and I could tell it was simply a no-go.  I turned around and walked the two blocks back home.  I can't recall the last time I had to shut down a run so early. 

The knee hurt much of the morning.  Going up and down stairs at work hurt.  As the day went on, though, the knee got a lot better.

Normally, I'd shrug this off and try running again in a couple of days.  But in exactly 11 days, I'm supposed to line up in Parking Lot G of Dodger Stadium, just a Kirk Gibson blast over the right field wall, and begin the Los Angeles Marathon.  No room for error here.  What do I do?  I have to decide.

So, here's the decision.  I won't run until race day.  Looking at my logs from the past, rest seems the best remedy.  I'll give this a shot to calm down, hold off on the calories in the next 11 days and hope for the best.  

Will it work?? I don't know.  But I had to make a call, so this is it.  We'll see how it goes.  

Persevere. 

.

6 comments:

IronWaddler said...

Take care, Joe. I think you have made a good decision.

Wes said...

I think its a great decision. You are more than ready, and you're doing 1/1?!? rest up!!

John said...

Agreed, Joe, rest will be the best thing.

With the 1/1, you shouldn't have any trouble covering the distance at all.

But it won't help if the knee is bad, so rest up, and we'll get it started at Dodger Stadium!!

Sarah said...

Great decision under the circumstance! Take it easy and try to enjoy the rest.

Susie said...

Hi Joe, I'm a lurker here. I found your blog when I was training for my first marathon using the Jeff Galloway method and have been a fan ever since. I am constantly battling injuries and right now am sticking to half marathons but plan to run another full in the future. I want to say that I really enjoy your blog and love your calculators. I've used them a ton. I hope that everything works out with your knee.

I just want to throw this out there...maybe try some of this stuff...KT tape:

http://kttape.com/

I have been having some muscle strains in my calves and quads and last weekend it was at it's worst after a mere 5 mile run. I didn't run all week (and rest alone doesn't work...I've tried that and it comes right back). Yesterday I taped up following the video instructions on their website and ran 8 miles. I still felt it a little bit, but so far, I haven't had any of the after pain (using the stairs, just walking around the house, etc.) that I had last week. I'm calling it a miracle because I've had this pain off and on for a year. So, I just wanted to pass it along. I don't know if you're on facebook, but their page is very, very helpful. They will answer your questions and respond with instructions fairly promptly. So, just a thought. Wishing you luck with all of this...thanks for your blog.

institute of lraqi scholars & academician said...

thank you very much