Much of training is trial and error, trying something, seeing how it works. But once in a while, you have to make a call and live with the consequences. And that's where I am at the moment.
I awoke this morning, looking forward to a run. Even better, the temperature was a balmy 50F at 5:15am. After a long, cold winter, this was wonderful! I donned shorts and a LS shirt and went out the door. Though the knee hurt last Friday, it felt fine on a simple 4 miler on Monday. So, I was optimistic for another good run today, Wednesday.
On my walk to the corner, though, the left knee felt "odd". Thinking it would wear off, I started to run, easily. And the knee hurt. Tried a few things...knee brace on, knee brace off. Nothing shifted it and I could tell it was simply a no-go. I turned around and walked the two blocks back home. I can't recall the last time I had to shut down a run so early.
The knee hurt much of the morning. Going up and down stairs at work hurt. As the day went on, though, the knee got a lot better.
Normally, I'd shrug this off and try running again in a couple of days. But in exactly 11 days, I'm supposed to line up in Parking Lot G of Dodger Stadium, just a Kirk Gibson blast over the right field wall, and begin the Los Angeles Marathon. No room for error here. What do I do? I have to decide.
So, here's the decision. I won't run until race day. Looking at my logs from the past, rest seems the best remedy. I'll give this a shot to calm down, hold off on the calories in the next 11 days and hope for the best.
Will it work?? I don't know. But I had to make a call, so this is it. We'll see how it goes.