Saturday, December 01, 2007

One Week to Go

ORN: 8 miles total, with 5.1 at 47:24, R9/W1, 9:17/mile.

Last week of the taper to the race I’ve been shooting for since June. And the predictable taper madness is in full swing.

Today’s run was 8 miles over the same course Darrell and I ran in our matching orange shirts on April 22. That was a week before Darrell ran the Eugene Marathon. If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me. I did a 3 mile warm up then intended to run the last 5 at the same rhythm I’ll use next Saturday. Ha. I was running without my Garmin, not because mine bonked but because one of my grandsons got hold of it last week and, fascinated by the numbers, the screen and the beeps, left it on and ran the battery down. So, without the ability to feel my pace, I ran what I thought was a slow run. Not so, as you can see above. My target is 9:43 miles next week. Today I ran 9:06, 9:38, 9:51 (for 1.1 miles), 9:16 and 9:32. Oh my. And this was in tights in a cold wind, by myself, on a grey miserable day. I really need the pacing help to hold back early. I can tell I’m wound up and ready to go. Mental focus to slow down the first 10 miles will be key next week if I’m to have any hope of hanging on for the last 5.

Like David and Michele, I’m watching the forecast for race day. At this point, it has morphed to a low of 42, heading to 63, with a 60% chance of rain. This warmth (and possible wetness) really changes what I am planning on taking. At this point, I’ll probably take most of my stuff and make a wet vs. dry decision on race morning.

I just found out I have a business trip which will have me driving to scenic Des Moines, Iowa on Wednesday, getting back late Thursday, then in the car early Friday to Huntsville. So, a lot of time on the road this week. Hoping to touch base with Hillary, Rudy, Mitt and Barack while I’m in Iowa…I’m sure they’ll be interested in my opinion.

Darrell, Wes and I are planning on going to the Friday night pasta feed at the Holiday Inn in Huntsville. If any of the rest of you would like to connect there, I’d sure enjoy it! Send a note to joeely618 at yahoo dot com and we’ll set it up.

Persevere. Even on taper week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe that a we are less than a week away for the big day. I'm sure that after all those hours in the car this week you will be ready to run on Saturday. Hope you make it through the last week of the "madness".

Wes said...

The big day... such simple words that mean so much to different people :-) Yes, bring your rain gear. It ain't looking good. I'd like to think the weathermen aren't that great 7 days out, but ya never know :-) I personally ordered up sunshine and 70 degrees for the entire race. We'll see if the Big Guy comes through. Take it easy on all that travelling. I don't want you falling behind me :-) :-)

Darrell said...

I trust the Garmin will be back up and running by next Saturday. What's with you guys teasing me with rain. I'm liking the 60 degree part, though. I'm definitely packing my hat and the band aids!

Make sure to take a couple of leg stretch breaks during all that drive time.

IronWaddler said...

Joe,
Enjoy the taper. Now is the really tough part- trusting in your training. It's all in the books. The marathon will be the celebration of all your hard work.

The weatherman is always wrong-let's hope for a perfect day.

waddler

Sarah said...

Savor these final taper days. You're going to have a great time!

Unknown said...

I'd love to join you, but I don't think I'll be in the area ;) Best of luck to you, Joe! I look forward to the report.