ORN: Sunday: 7 miles, 9:18/mile
In planning and training for the Portland Marathon on October 1, I'm trying to target my pace. Numerous runs on the training plan are set for "Marathon Pace'...but just what is it? I'm asking for help here.
1. In the St Louis Marathon in April, I targeted a 9:45 pace, which I held pretty well through 23 miles, when I had to walk the uphill portions of the last three miles. I ended up averaging 10:18 over the entire course.
2. Four weeks later, I did the Indy Half Marathon in an 8:53 pace.
3. Four weeks after that, I did the Sunburst Half Marathon in an 8:39 pace.
4. I have, to date, targeted a 9:30 pace (on my Garmin, probably a 9:35 or so in reality).
5. On Saturday, with temps in the 80s and very high humidity, I ran 11.4 miles at a 9:31 pace (on the Garmin). I was trying to run at 9:45. Couldn't do it.
6. On Sunday, the training schedule called for 7 miles at MP. With the temps and humidity even higher, I set the training pace feature of the Garmin to 9:30 and couldn't keep it at pace...I ran it at 9:18.
7. I'd like to finish Portland strong...I have no need (on this one) to get under 4 hours. That will come, perhaps in 2007.
So, good running friends, what should I target my MP at for Portland, two months from tomorrow?? Or am I obsessing too much??
Thanks for your help as we all persevere.