Sunday, May 21, 2006

Four 5s and a 12

ORN: 5 miles, no watch, easy pace

One of the cool things about blogging, for me, is the simple act of writing. This forces some thought (though it may not always be evident...) as I try to express myself.

The somewhat melancholy post of a couple of days ago is the current example. I wondered aloud why my runs felt flat. That writing triggered a series of further thoughts during this weekend's runs.

In summary, I'm making running too complicated at the moment. I've already hit my two goals for the year. It is not surprising that there is a time to recover. My next major goal is the Portland Marathon on October 1. So why have a complex training regimine right now?? Why not just run, enjoy the beatiful spring weather and build a base?

So that's what I'm going to do. Four five-mile runs a week and a 12 miler each weekend. A base of 32 miles a week. Then, in late July, I'll be set to start the ramp up to Portland. Simple.

In the meantime, I have a half marathon in two weeks and a 10k two weeks after that. With no major goals for either, they can fold into this plan and I can enjoy each race.

I feel better already.

Persevere. Even when flat.

1 comment:

jeanne said...

I like this plan. Very smart. So often I forget to just enjoy the act of running. Thanks for the reminder.