Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Taper Time

ORN: Sunday: 5.8 miles, with 5 at 9:28
Tuesday: 5 miles, easy
Wednesday: 6.4 miles, with last 2 hard

Saw a local running pal on the trail this morning. She asked how close I was to the marathon. When I told her I was just starting my taper, she bubbled in her New Zealand accent "Oh, the taper! My very favorite part of running!"

Yep, that's where I find myself now, amazingly. After the 21 miler on Saturday, the schedule called for 5 at mp on Sunday. I never was comfortable with my earlier-proposed 9:20 mp, so dropped that to 9:30 and that feels better. I did the 5 at 9:28 and, coupled with the fun 21 miles the day before, I'm feeling a lot better about the marathon preparation.

Now we taper. Hard to believe I'm closing in on the second marathon but I am. The weather is improving (read "cooler") and, other than the Cubs having the worst record in the NL right now, life is good.

Persevere. Even when life isn't so good.

2 comments:

Darrell said...

Just over two weeks to go! Can you believe it? Stay healthy and rested and enjoy all the hard work that got you here.

9:20, 9:30 either gets you to a PR and more importantly to the finish line. You'll figure it out.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear the 21 miler went well and you are in taper mode. I feel like I am just beginning my training, but after this week will cut back my mileage more next week and for marathon week as well. Hopefully I can get to the start line well rested and properly prepared as much as I can be. I am trying to work on some details of a possible lunch time Saturday meet up where maybe we can hit the expo and go out for lunch afterwards so I will keep you posted about that.