I must be feeling the effect of too-little sleep. Today's planned 5 miler wasn't to be. I cut it off at a turning point and walked much of it home.
The legs were flat, amazingly flat. Simply nothing there. In analyzing why, I noted that:
- I have had less-than-normal amounts of sleep the past week
- Umpiring baseball has kept me up later and on my feet more
- Squatting to see 11 year-old strike zones takes a toll on the quads
- I ate a light dinner last night, umpired, went to bed, got up and ran
- Low hydration plus low fuel plus low sleep equals "empty"
All of this leads to the 10km race I'm entered in tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if I can run the entire distance. Given that I have to umpire again tonight!!
Some runs are great. Many are unremarkable. Some are lousy.
And you always persevere.